United Nations Volunteer Programme 2020
Details: Are you ready to become an international UN Volunteer? You can contribute your time, skills and knowledge through volunteering with the UN. This is an opportunity to create a positive impact and be a significant force for achieving peace and development. Make a difference in the lives of many!
The first step to volunteer abroad with the UN is to determine whether you meet the minimum requirements (see below). If this is the case, register your profile in our Global Talent Pool. Profiles from the Talent Pool are then matched with assignments offered by UN partner agencies. Approximately 2,000 assignments become available per year. Most assignments are filled through the Global Talent Pool without being advertised.
- 25 years old and older (no upper age limit); university degree or higher technical diploma;
- At least two years of relevant work experience in a professional background;
- Good working knowledge of English, Spanish or French;
- Commitment to the values and principles of volunteerism;
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment;
- Willingness to work with people and local organizations;
- Ability to adjust in difficult living conditions and sometimes remote locations;
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills.
International UN Volunteer assignments generally run for six to 12 months, with the possibility of extending for one to two years. Short-term assignments are also requested by our partners from time to time.
International UN Volunteers are entitled to certain allowances. Allowances are in no way to be understood as a compensation, reward or salary in exchange for the volunteer work.
The purpose of allowances for volunteers is to enable them to sustain a secure standard of living in their duty stations.