UN Women Regional Civil Society Advisory Group (RCSAG)
Deadline: 21st October, 2022
Duration: 2 years
Summary: The UN Women Regional Office is looking for organizations and groups to drive dialogue & engagement on gender equality, to support consultations between UN Women and civil society and help inform UN Women’s priorities and strategies in the region.
Details: Membership will be drawn from institutions working in the region. This is a voluntary role, with a term of 2 years. Institutions (NGOs, Community Based Organizations, Networks, research institutions etc) with a proven track record working on diverse gender equality, women’s rights and empowerment areas are encouraged to apply for consideration for the 12 member Advisory Group.
The goals of the CSAG are:
- To foster strategic dialogue and engagement, with a view of addressing the root causes of gender inequalities and advance goals of gender equality and women’s empowerment.
- To provide a forum to enable mutually beneficial consultations between UN Women and civil society and draw upon the rich and diverse expertise, experience, outreach and networks, perspective and knowledge that civil society can offer on a timely and effective basis.
- To serve as a consultative forum to agree on regional priorities and develop joint strategies to inform UN women’s programmes.
The role and function of the Regional CSAG are to provide:
- A dual role of being advisor but also advocate on key strategic areas for intervention that will address existing gender inequalities and develop agreed frameworks for engagement and support to inform the work of UN Women at regional level.
- Inputs to UN Women during the formulation of key strategic documents e.g. the regional Strategic Note, regional programmes and in identification of priority thematic areas for the region.
- Provide feedback on UN Women’s work including how to streamline e.g. through participation at annual retreats and having a dialogue with respective Country Representatives.
- Insights on the political, social, economic and cultural developments and trends for consideration in UN Women’s engagement in the region.
- Perspectives on regional scenarios and contribute to positions on key issues including for intergovernmental processes.
- Strategic advice on an advocacy agenda to promote Gender Equality and Women’s Empowerment in the region.
- Contributions to the strengthening of UN Women’s engagement with civil society at regional and national levels.
- Support as necessary to UN Women’s partnership with civil society, in relevant intergovernmental processes and fora.
The R-CSAG membership will be at an institution level and not at the individual level to ensure availability of members for meetings. Institutions will be required to assign a focal person and alternates whom they consider is fit for such a high-level advisory group. Such arrangement is expected to help avoid issue of quorum as it is highly likely that there will always be someone that can step-in in the event the main focal person can’t make it to the scheduled meeting.
The Regional-CSAG will consist of 12 members of diverse gender identities representing institutions that are committed to the core values of the United Nations and to the mission of UN Women. The institutions should have a proven track record in their respective fields preferably with strong credentials as gender, development and or women’s rights advocates.
- UN Women will circulate the call for nomination including through existing regional and national gender equality, women’s rights and women’s empowerment networks/coalitions, organizations and movements.
- The nominations should include the following: Name of organization and contact details of the organization and contact details of the nominee; a short profile of and description (less than one page) on why the organization would be a suitable candidate for the CSAG.