Rotary Yoneyama Scholarship 2022
Deadline: 15th December, 2021
Summary: Rotary Yoneyama Scholarship for Overseas Candidate is for overseas students scheduled to enroll in a Japanese university/graduate school. All Rotary International District in Japan will open for 2022 enrollment.
Details: The Rotary Yoneyama Memorial Scholarship Foundation (hereinafter referred to as the “Yoneyama Foundation”) supports international students in achieving high academic achievements, and also at the same time teaches the spirit of Rotary through exchanges with counselors and sewa clubs. The purpose of this is to deepen mutual international understanding and develop bonds to grow into a bridge between the student’s mother country and Japan.
The scholarship qualifications therefore require enthusiasm and excellence in 1. academic work, 2. cross cultural understanding, and 3. communication skills.
Rotary Yoneyama Memorial Scholars (hereinafter referred to as “Yoneyama Scholars”) are expected to learn the culture and customs of Japan, foster the mind of social contribution and participation, and mature into a member of society who can contribute to the Rotary’s ideal world, creating and maintaining world peace.
The Rotary Yoneyama Scholarship for Overseas Candidate is carried out as a special program to support overseas students in the most-difficult first years of their enrollment in Japanese universities and graduate schools. This system provides both financial and personal support (through counseling offered by Rotary members) to the awardees upon their arrival in Japan.
There is a recent increase in universities undertaking admission prior to arrival in Japan. This system is in which universities accept applications, determines acceptance, and permits admission prior to the applicant’s arrival to Japan. The Scholarship for Overseas Candidate suits applicants who undertake entrance examinations without travelling to Japan.
In addition to the financial support, a system of counselors and sewa clubs is also provided. The scholars attend their sewa club meeting at least once a month. Through the engagement with the Rotary Club members (hereinafter referred to as “Rotarians”) at the meetings, the scholars deepen mutual understanding, experience true international and cultural interaction, and learn the true Rotary spirit.
- Yoneyama Scholars must attend at least one regular meeting of their sewa Rotary Club.
- Submit a Report written in Japanese twice a year.
- Give speeches at regular meetings, attend sewa club and Rotary District activities, and make efforts to deepen mutual understanding throughout such interactions with Rotarians.
Overseas students who meet all the following requirements are eligible to apply for this scholarship.
Citizenship & Place of Residence
- Those who do not have Japanese citizenship (for dual nationality holders, Japanese nationality holders are not eligible.)
- Those who reside outside of Japan (Those who already reside in Japan are not eligible to apply.)
Records of Entry and Residency in Japan
- Those who have entered and resided in Japan for study purpose are not eligible.
- However, those under the following conditions will be eligible.
- Entering Japan for a short stay of the duration not exceeding 1month, for the purpose of the attendance to a pre-entry internship between agreed universities, or participation to pre-enrollment training and/or orientation of the institution intended to enroll.
- The purpose of staying and studying in Japan was for the participation of a Rotary Youth exchange program.
Enrolling institution and Enrollment permission
- Those who plan to enter or transfer in to a university or graduate school recognized by the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology of Japan, in April or September/October 2022 with the intention to obtain a degree.
- Those who have an issued letter of acceptance/admission from an intended school, including a university that has an admission system prior to arrival in Japan, or those who are in the process of undertaking entrance exams of an intended school. Research Students are not eligible.
Scholastic and Health Requirements
- As an overseas student, all applicants are expected to have an enthusiasm for study and clear future goal, awareness and respect for cultural differences, the ability to express oneself correctly and to communicate smoothly, and to be in good condition of both mental and physical health.
Field of Study
- All fields are eligible.
Japanese Language Ability
- The ability to understand basic Japanese (JPLT N4 level) is expected.After arriving in Japan, scholars are required to make an effort to communicate in Japanese in order to create and strengthen friendship with the Japanese Rotarians.
- Applicant must be born after April 1st, 1976. (Under 45 years of age)
Ban of Dual scholarships
- It is prohibited to receive scholarships and/or grants given to individuals from other institutions of the same kind.
- If you wish to receive other scholarships after selected, you must offer to decline by the following deadline.
- I. April 2022 expected applicant’s deadline: March 1, 2022
- II. October /September 2022 expected applicants’ deadline: August 1, 2022
- For April enrollment: Scholarship payment begins in April 2022
- For fall enrollment: Scholarship payment begins in October (or September) 2022
- (1)Undergraduates: 100,000 yen per month
- (2)Master’s students: 140,000 yen per month
- (3)Doctoral students: 140,000 yen per month
- *Research students are not eligible.
Supplemental for Airfare:
- Actual expenses to arrive to Japan up to 250,000 yen is reimbursed at orientation, after arrival in Japan. Successful applicants must submit all relevant receipts. Only the economy class fee is covered.
15 December 2021 1:00P.M. Japan time for both April and fall (September/October) 2022 Enrollment. Application documents must arrive by the date.
Announcement of Selection Results：
Notification of selection results are made by email at the following times:
- Mid of February 2022: Tentative selection result
- End of March 2022: Eligible notice