OWSD Ph.D. Fellowship 2020 (Fully Funded)
Deadline: March 31, 2020
Details: OWSD provides research training and networking opportunities for women scientists throughout the developing world at different stages in their careers. The OWSD Ph.D. Fellowship is offered to women scientists from science- and technology-lagging countries (STLCs) to undertake Ph.D. research in the natural, engineering and information technology sciences at a host institute in another developing country in the Global South.
The program is administered with funds generously provided by the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (SIDA) and is offered in partnership with host institutes throughout the developing world.
The general purpose of the fellowship program is to contribute to the emergence of a new generation of women leaders in science and technology and to promote their effective participation in the scientific and technological development of their countries.
The specific aims of the fellowship program are:
- To improve access to educational and training opportunities in science and technology for young and talented women graduates from STLCs.
- To increase the scientific productivity and creativity of women scientists in STLCs.
- To empower a new generation of talented women to assume a leadership role in science and technology.
- To encourage women scientists to contribute to the sustainable development of their home countries.
- To enable women scientists from the South to collaborate and network on a regional and international level.
Candidates can choose between two study schemes:
- a full-time fellowship (maximum 4 years funding), where the research is undertaken entirely at a host institute in another developing country in the South.
- a sandwich fellowship, where the candidate must be a registered PhD student in her home country and undertakes part of her studies at a host institute in another developing country.
The sandwich fellowship is awarded for a minimum of 1 and a maximum of 3 research visits at the host institute. The minimum duration of the first visit is 6 months. The total number of months spent at the host institute cannot exceed 20 months. The funding period cannot exceed 4 years.
OWSD particularly encourages candidates to consider the sandwich option, which allows them to earn the PhD in their home country while accessing specialist researchers and equipment abroad, at the host institute.
The fellowship support is only provided while the student is on-site, at the host institute.
- The OWSD Ph.D. Fellowship is offered only to women candidates.
- The candidate has to be from Agricultural Sciences; Astronomy, Space and Earth Sciences; Biological Systems and Organisms; Chemical Sciences; Computing and Information Technology; Engineering Sciences; Mathematical Sciences; Medical and Health Sciences; Neurosciences; Physics; Structural, Cell and Molecular Biology
- The minimum qualification is an MSc degree in one of the above-listed study fields.
- Must come from one of the following countries; Angola, Benin, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Congo, Côte d’Ivoire, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Eswatini (Kingdom of), Ethiopia, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Kenya, Kiribati, Lesotho, Liberia, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mozambique, Niger, Rwanda, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Sudan, Tanzania, Togo, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Djibouti, Palestine (West Bank and Gaza Strip), Sudan, Syrian Arab Republic, Yemen, Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Cambodia, Kiribati, Lao People’s Dem Rep., Mongolia, Myanmar, Nepal, Solomon Islands, Sri Lanka, Tajikistan, Timor-Leste, Tuvalu, Vanuatu, Bolivia, El Salvador, Guatemala, Haiti, Honduras, Nicaragua, Paraguay
- A monthly allowance to cover basic living expenses such as accommodation and meals while in the host country
- A special allowance to attend international conferences during the period of the fellowship
- A return ticket from the home country to the host institute for the agreed research period
- Visa expenses
- Annual medical insurance contribution
- The opportunity to attend regional science communications workshops, on a competitive basis
- Study fees (including tuition and registration fees) in agreement with the chosen host institute which is also expected to contribute