MCW Global Young Leaders Access Program 2020 (Fully Funded)
Location: New York City, New York., Burlington, Vermont (U.S.A.)
Date: July 21- 30, 2020
Deadline: January 5, 2020
Details: The MCW Global’s year-long flagship program is for participants between the ages of 18 to 26, who are prepared to become leaders of positive change in their communities by obtaining tools and skills needed to transform passion into action.
MCW is a non-profit organization that addresses communities’ needs by empowering current leaders and readying leaders of tomorrow. Their mission is to address communities’ pressing needs by empowering current leaders and readying leaders of tomorrow. Founded in 1999, MCW Global is based in New York with partner organizations in Africa (Rwanda, Tanzania and Zambia). MCW offers Young Leaders, Community Development, and Oral Health Care programs.
The program is based on 3 phases:
- Summer Program: The program begins with an intensive, 10-day summer program that facilitates leadership development, self-awareness, a deep understanding of global citizenship, and how to implement a project from beginning to end. The program is held in late July in New York City, New York and Burlington, Vermont. In addition to working alongside MCW Global team members, alumni mentors, and volunteers, participants will also hear from a range of experts from academia, civil society, development, and the public and private sectors about their own community-action projects.
- Vision Planning: Project Development: Participants come to the Program with an idea of a community issue they want to address through the process of vision planning, which aims to transform passion into a tangible plan for change. During this process, participants will be able to put their local issues into a larger global context while exploring why they are in a unique position to make change happen. Participants will also determine which tools they need to apply to the plan, in order to make it actionable. After the program, Young Leaders are expected to further develop and/or implement their plan in collaboration with their alumni mentors.
- Alumni Mentorship and Ongoing Support: To further develop and implement their vision plans, Young Leaders are paired with alumni mentors, who guide them at the summer program toward creating an actionable plan. During the year, alumni mentors support participants by facilitating quarterly “hangouts” and ongoing remote communication. Alumni mentors undergo customized training prior to the start of the program in order to support team building and cultural competency.
- Applicants should demonstrate commitment to their community
- Identify an issue in their community to address
- Be between the ages of 18-26
- Be fluent in written and spoken English
- Commit to attending the 10-day program and spending the following year aiming to execute their community project
- Be eligible for appropriate visa and travel documentation
- Have access to email and Internet to allow for consistent communication with the MCW Global Team and Young Leaders Program alumni-mentor for the duration of the year-long program
- Adhere to Young Leaders Access Program graduation guidelines (to be provided upon acceptance to the program)
- Submit a completed application on or before January 5, 2020
- In an effort to make the program accessible to all participants, MCW Global will cover program and flight costs.
- MCW Global will also cover costs during the summer program (July 21- July 30, 2020), including housing, food, travel to and from the summer program venues, and any necessary supplies.
- MCW Global requires all participants to pay for on the ground costs, including passport, visa, and in-country ground transportation fees. (Not applicable for U.S. based participants.)