London School of Economics and Political Science AI Academy
Deadline: 1st August, 2021
Duration: September – October 2021
Summary: This FREE online programme offers a deep-dive into the potential of artificial intelligence to journalists and media professionals from small newsrooms. It is designed by the JournalismAI team at the London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE) and powered by Google News Initiative.
Details: The Academy is a 6-week online programme that starts in September 2021 and, in its first pilot edition, it is designed for 20 participants from small news organisations (fewer than 50 employees) in the EMEA region (Europe, Middle East and Africa).
In line with JournalismAI’s mission to inform media organisations about the potential offered by AI-powered technologies and to foster debate about the ethical, editorial, and social impact of AI on journalism, the Academy aims to support small newsrooms that want to learn how AI can be used to support their journalism.
The programme combines a series of masterclasses given by experts working at the intersection of journalism and artificial intelligence with opportunities for discussion among participants. In addition to that, participants will be guided through the development of shared resources that can support their organisations’ AI-adoption journey during and after the programme.
The Academy is FREE for selected participants, thanks to the support of the Google News Initiative, which has been powering JournalismAI since 2019. The programme was inspired by the Product Immersion for Small Newsrooms, an initiative of the Newmark J-School at CUNY, News Catalyst, and the Google News Initiative.
- Module #1 (16-17 Sept) → Key Concepts and Definitions
- Module #2 (23-24 Sept) → Applications of AI in Journalism
- Module #3 (30 Sept – 1 Oct) → Data & Technology
- Module #4 (7-8 Oct) → People & Culture
- Module #5 (14-15 Oct) → Risks & Concerns
- Module #6 (21-22 Oct) → From Ideation to Implementation
- The Academy is designed for journalists and media professionals working in small newsrooms (fewer than 50 employees), based in the EMEA region (Europe, Middle East and Africa – GMT 0 to +4), and who are fluent in English.
- The ideal candidate already has a basic understanding of the potential of artificial intelligence and machine learning, and works in a news organisation that has started exploring how to use these new technologies. Candidates with different newsroom titles will be considered but, in the selection process, priority will be given to candidates that demonstrate the ability to influence the strategic adoption of AI in their news organisation to tackle journalistic challenges.
- No coding skills are required to attend the Academy, nor are there any other technical requirements, other than a stable WiFi connection to participate in the live activities. We encourage journalists and media professionals from all backgrounds to apply.
- Participants will leave the Academy with a practical understanding of the opportunities and challenges offered by AI technologies, examples of successful implementation, and a co-created action plan to guide the development of AI projects in their news organisations.
The deadline to submit your application is at 11:59pm GMT on August 1st, 2021. Participants will be informed of the results of the selection process by August 16th. If you have any questions, send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.