Houghton Library Visiting Fellowships 2023-2024
Deadline: 20th January, 2023
Location: Harvard University
Summary: Applications are open for the Houghton Library Visiting Fellowships 2023-2024. The Visiting Fellowship programme offers scholars at all stages of their careers funding to pursue projects that require in-depth research on the library’s holdings, as well as opportunities to draw on staff expertise and participate in intellectual life at Harvard.
Details: Houghton provides fellows with access to other libraries at Harvard University, and opportunities to exchange knowledge and promote their research through its publications, and scholarly and public programs.
Recent fellows’ research topics speak to the breadth and depth of Houghton’s holdings—ranging from colonial-era Native American music to the collecting of Sanskrit manuscripts, and Iberian chivalric romances to celebrity pregnancy on the London stage.
- Fellows in the 2023–2024 cohort will receive stipends of $4,500 during the tenure of their appointment.
- Open to candidates of all nationalities. Non-U.S. citizens awarded a fellowship are required to obtain a J-1 visa. Harvard University can sponsor the visa, but fellows are responsible for paying associated fees and will receive their stipend 2-3 weeks after arriving at Houghton Library.
- Doctoral students, post-doctoral, academics and independent scholars, as well as curators, and other library, archive and museum professionals, are welcome to apply.
- Fellowships normally are not granted to scholars who live within commuting distance of the library.
- Scholars are welcome to apply each year. If awarded a fellowship, however, a period of 5 years must elapse before another fellowship may be awarded.
- They particularly welcome applications from students and scholars from underrepresented groups in academia, including women, Black, Indigenous, and other people of color, first generation scholars, and persons with disabilities.
- a project proposal (1,000 words maximum)
- a preliminary list of Houghton collection materials
- a curriculum vitae
- one letter of reference
Note: Other than the Pantzer Fellowship, applicants need not apply for specific fellowships, as the Selection Committee determines which fellowship is best suited to your research, if awarded a fellowship.
Applicants are strongly encouraged to save applications in progress; do not submit your application until it is complete. The deadline for application submission is Friday, January 20, 2023.