Hanga Sexual & Reproductive Health (SRH) Program
Deadline: 15th November, 2023
Details: The Hanga Sexual & Reproductive Health (SRH) Program was conceived by the Government of Rwanda in 2022 through HangaPitchFest to explore the opportunity that exists for technology enabled startups to solve key issues in SRH to accelerate better outcomes. This year, we are excited to work with key partners to scout, select, and provide technical and business support to 20 startups in Sub-Saharan Africa working on innovative tech-enabled solutions that are addressing challenges in ways that break the mold in SRH.
- Improving maternal health beyond the access to safe abortion for populations
- Tackling unsafe abortion by removing the barriers to accessing safe abortion.
- Targeting young people (10-24) with youth-friendly SRH information and services.
- Tackling gender based violence including sexual violence.
- Meeting the need for contraception including education about and access to contraception.
- Must be operating in any country in Sub-Saharan Africa
- Must be developing a product and venture which contributes towards a sexual and reproductive health (SRH) theme in an innovative and pioneering way
- The start-up must present a tech-enabled SRH solution or have the potential to scale through technology. Technology does not need to be the core innovation but it must be enabled by hardware or software of some kind.
- Must present a working prototype. This can be in the form of a working product demo in video format, a pitch deck explaining how the product works, a functional website, or anything similar.
- Must be registered by the relevant authorities in the country of operation
- The start-up should not have raised any venture capital (except angel investors, family, and friends). Start-ups that may have received grant funding from other incubator programs or hackathons are eligible.
- Must be the Founder / Co-founder and/or hold primary decision-making power in the start-up
- Must be digitally literate with consistent access to a laptop and internet
- Must be at least 18 years of age at the time of application
If selected to join the Hanga SRH Program, you will have access to the following:
- Funding: grant funding valued at $10,000 USD with the scope to increase up to $30,000 USD for the highest performing start-ups in the program
- Learning: a 3 month, cohort-based learning curriculum, covering entrepreneurship, evidence and SRH
- Bespoke Support: Tailored support from venture-building and SRH experts over a period of 9 months for the eligible start-ups.
- Applications open: October 20th
- Applications information session: October 31th
- Applications close: November 15th at 1700 CAT.
- Virtual pitching: November 20th – 21th