EuroMed Rights Brussels, Belgium – Advocacy Intern
Duration: 6 months (full-time)
Starting date: 7 September 2020
Deadline: June 30, 2020
Summary: EuroMed Rights is looking to recruit a bright and enthusiastic intern to assist the Brussels office in its advocacy-related work. The internship will start as soon as possible for a period of six months. Position open to EU citizens or applicants with a valid work permit in Belgium.
Description of Tasks:
The intern will work under the supervision of, and according to priorities set by the Advocacy and Training Officer – s/he will be part of a team headed by the Advocacy Director. The following tasks are to be undertaken:
- Support the Advocacy and Training Officer and the Advocacy Director with the practical and logistic organization of advocacy activities, including sending invitation letters, setting up meetings, booking hotels, etc.;
- Support the implementation of relevant advocacy activities, including drafting letters and briefing papers;
- Monitor EU, UN activities/calendars relevant to the Euro-Mediterranean region, and inform EuroMed Rights staff and members, e.g. by drafting a newsletter;
- Participate in various meetings, take notes, and prepare meeting reports and minutes;
- Maintain and update the database of advocacy contacts, when relevant in cooperation with the Communication Department.
Profile, Skills, and Background:
- University Degree (maybe ongoing) in European Studies, Human Rights, Law, Political and Social Science – other degrees may also be considered;
- Keen interest and preferably proven work experience in the protection of human rights, in NGOs dealing with the EU/MENA;
- Fluency in both English and French (oral and written). Applicants who do not match these language requirements will not be considered. Knowledge of Arabic will be an asset;
- Computer literacy in Word (at least basic Excel knowledge is required);
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely in writing and orally;
- Good communication and interpersonal skills;
- Keen attention to details;
- Self-motivated, well-organized, able to work independently and efficiently under pressure.
Remuneration: CIP – Internship Convention 796,91€/ month + public transport + lunch vouchers.
If you believe you qualify for this position, please send by Tuesday 30 June 2020 at email@example.com:
- Your CV;
- A document (max. 1 page, in English) in which you respond to the following:
- What do you think you can bring to EuroMed Rights, and why?
- Describe a recent experience in which you have played a key role
- What practical steps would you follow if you had to organize an advocacy mission to Brussels in three weeks for a delegation of four Algerian NGO representatives to discuss the crackdown on activists and protesters in Algeria?
Interviews will take place during the first half of July 2020. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.