Commonwealth Harkness Fellowship for Healthcare Policy and Practice 2020 (Fully Funded)
Deadline: November 11, 2019
Details: The fully funded Commonwealth Fund’s Harkness Fellowships in Health Care Policy and Practice provide a unique opportunity for mid-career health services researchers and practitioners to spend up to 12 months in the United States, conducting original research and working with leading U.S. health policy experts.
Fellows work with leading U.S. experts to study health care delivery reforms and critical issues on the health policy agenda in both the U.S. and their home countries. A rich program of seminars organized by the Fund throughout the year further enhances the fellowship experience.
- Be citizens of Australia, Canada, France, Germany, New Zealand, the Netherlands, Norway, or the United Kingdom. Moreover, non-citizens of the country may also apply for the fellowship. However, the applicants must have permanent residency and have lived in that country for at least the last three years. Such applicants must also demonstrate a commitment to pursue careers in their country of selection.
- Show significant promise as a policy-oriented health services researcher or practitioner (clinician, health services manager, government official, or journalist);
- Have a demonstrated expertise in health policy issues; also a track record of informing health policy through research, policy analysis, health services, or clinical leadership;
- Have a master’s degree or doctorate in health care services, health policy research, or a related discipline; such as economics or political science
- If academically based, be at a mid-career level (e.g., research fellow to senior lecturer).
The Harkness Fellowship Award provides up to the U.S. $130,000 in support. In general, the fellowship provides:
- round-trip airfare to the United States
- a fixed monthly stipend for the fellows’ living expenses in the United States
- funds to attend The Commonwealth Fund program of fellowship seminars
- funds for project-related travel and other research expenses, health insurance coverage while in the United States, and payment of U.S. federal and state withholding taxes.
Additionally, family supplement is available to fellows accompanied by a partner and/or children (approximately $60,000 for a partner and two children up to the age of 18).