American School of Dubai Model United Nations Conference, 2020
Location: Dubai, U.A.E.
Date: February 27-29, 2020
Deadline: November 30, 2019
Details: ASDMUN is held at the American School of Dubai, and is located in one of the most diverse and innovative cities in the world. We hold the quintessential background for a conference centered around nations coming together to create unity, through the 27th – 29th of February 2020.
This year’s conference theme is “Opportunity: Supporting Solutions to Global Problems”, where we challenge and inspire delegates to adapt and contribute to our world with an open mind, building on ASDMUN IV’s theme of “Combatting Crisis Through the Unconventional”. The goal of ASDMUN V is to think of others and how we can assist in creating opportunity where there is conflict. Opportunity is defined by the Oxford English Dictionary as “a time when a particular situation makes it possible to do or achieve something“, and we are furthering this concept through taking action in an MUN setting. It is now up to you, delegates to decide what creating opportunity will look like.
Delegates are reminded that our conference adheres to the laws of the United Arab Emirates, and THIMUN procedure for debate. This will be seen throughout our nine forums; Arab Council (AC), Environmental Commission (EC), Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC), General Assembly (GA), Human Rights Commission (HRC), Security Council (SC), Historical Security Council (HSC), World Trade Organization (WTO), and the Special Conference (SpC).
Part of the excitement of being at ASDMUN is the opportunity to participate in an MUN in a Middle Eastern country, which may be a unique experience for some of you. As you are surely aware, this region has some sensitive rules in order maintain cultural respect.
Below is a legal guide of do’s and don’ts in the UAE:
- Do not write/debate anything that threatens the UAE’s public morals, the principles of Islam or the state.
- Do not post any pictures that contain irreverence to Islam or other religions. Any writing/debates must show respect to the UAE’s leaders, its government and its institutions.
- Do not post anything that belittles or criticises the UAE’s cultural and social customs. No writing/debates containing direct, specific threats of violence against mothers can be published.
- No hate speech – including content containing graphic or gratuitous violence. Always check the source of material you are posting – especially material that you do not own or is subject to someone else’s rights.
- Do not write/debate about people’s private information without getting their consent first.
ASDMUN is more than an event; it is a one of a kind experience providing both our current students and you the opportunity to meet new people, expand the breadth and depth of your knowledge and understanding of the world, and of course, have a great time