ABE Initiative SDGs Global Leader Masters and Ph.D. Scholarship Program 2021 for Young African Leaders
Host country: Japan
Duration of Award: Two years will be allocated for a Master’s Degree, and three years for a Ph.D. (depending on university offering).
Deadline: 9th October 2020
Summary: The SDGs Global Leader Program aims to capacitate young or mid-career human resources who are contributing towards addressing challenges faced in various fields through strengthening the collaboration between Africa and Japan, and through the implementation of political-strategic decision-making and implementation.
Eligibility: Applicants must:
- Be less than 40 (before 1 April 2021)
- Must hold a Bachelor’s degree (B-Tech included) with honors or equivalent to NQF8 and an average of 65% in academic transcripts for the Master’s Degree
- Must hold a Master degree (NQF9) and a minimum average of 65% in academic transcripts for Doctor’s Degree
- Have more than six months of working experience in the current organization
- Must obtain permission to apply and secure reinstatement from the current organization
- Must have adequate English skills in both written and oral communication
Value of Award:
- Prospective applicants should ideally be middle-management government officials or academics who wish to be involved in policy formulation, political and development issues, and who are passionate about making a difference in public policy administration and economics.
- Furthermore, participants of the programme may wish to participate in “Additional Programmes” which allow for participation to networking fairs with Japanese enterprises and internship opportunities. Participants are also encouraged to participate in the Japan Development Studies Programme (JICA-DSP), which provides knowledge on Japan’s modernization, World War II, and development experiences.
- 1. General Information-FY2021 (PDF/593KB)
- 2. South Africa Supplemental Information Sheet (PDF/135KB)
- 3. Application Form in 2021 (Excel/143KB)
- 3-1. Annex1_Current and Previous Work experience (Word/19.0KB)
- 3-2. Annex2_Career Plan after Graduation (Word/19.9KB)
- 3-3. Annex3_Research Plan (Word/20.8KB)
- 4-1. University Information for Applicants (2021)_ABE Initiative (Excel/416KB)
- 4-2. University Information for Applicants (2021)_SDGs Africa Master (Excel/355KB)
- 4-3. University Information for Applicants (2021)_SDGs Africa PHD (Excel/356KB)
Email marked PDF files of application documents (Less than 4MB in a mail) and submit the original documents to the following address:
Japan International Cooperation Agency
JICA South Africa Office
Lord Charles Office Block, Building B, 1st Floor 337
Brooklyn Street, Brooklyn, Pretoria 0081
P.O.Box 14068, Hatfield, 0028
Republic of South Africa